Web Hosting and File Storage
Zipspace is a network storage location for students. Each student is allocated 100 megabytes of storage.
- 1 How to utilize your Zipspace
- 2 How to connect to your Zipspace
- 2.1 In the labs
- 2.2 At home
How to utilize your Zipspace
You can store projects, papers, or create a webpage. As long as you have an Internet connection you will be able to connect to it from anywhere.
How to connect to your Zipspace
In the labs
Most labs are already set up to so that your Zipspace is mapped to the My Documents folder.
If you wish to connect to your Zipspace from home you will need to use one of the methods below depending on your operating system.
Use the Webdrive software program to install.
Mac OS X
Connecting to ZIPSpace from a Macintosh will vary depending upon your OS:
- Macintosh OS 10.4X now supports a direct connection to ZIPSpace
- Macintosh OS 8.x – 9.x clients must setup the Goliath client software in order to access ZIPSpace
Connecting to ZIPSpace with Mac OS 10.4x or higher
- In the Finder under the Go menu select Connect to Server.
- In the dialog box that appears type: https://gozips.uakron.edu/your-uanet-id
- When prompted, authenticate using your uanet id and password
Connecting to ZIPSpace with Mac OS 8.x – 9.x
In order to connect to the ZipSpace from your Macintosh, you will need to download and install the Goliath client software, which provides webDAV support (over HTTPS) for both OS X as well as MacOS Classic environments (8.x - 9.x). You can download Goliath from the distribution site http://www.webdav.org/goliath/ - click on the Download link on the left side of the page.
- Launch Goliath, from the File Menu select, New Connection:
- Enter the URL: https://gozips.uakron.edu/YOUR_UANET_ID For example if your UANET is mcgates, you would enter: https://gozips.uakron.edu/mcgates
- You will also need to enter your UANET ID and Password. Then click OK
- You will see a security alert:
- Click “OK” to accept the certificate.
- Once connected, you will see a window which provides access to your files on the ZIPSpace server.
- To upload files, simply drag and drop a copy of your files and folders to the
- To download files from the ZIPSpace server to your hard drive:
a. Select the desired items
b. Then from the Web menu, select Download Items
c. You will then be prompted to select a location on your hard drive
9. To delete files from the server:
d. Select the desired items
e. From the Web menu select Delete Items.
NOTE: This simply moves items to the Trash folder. To permanently remove items, you must also delete them from the Trash folder.
If you have KNetAttach you can set up a profile.
Click WebFolder (webdav)
- Under Name type Zipspace
- User: Your UAnet ID
- Server: gozips.uakron.edu
- Folder: / then type your UAnet ID
- Click Use Encryption
- Port: 443
- Click Save & Connect
- Enter your password when it prompts you.
You should be connected to your Zipspace
Type webdavs://gozips.uakron.edu/ then after the / type your UAnet ID Enter your password and you should be connected to your Zipspace.
The advantages of this method is to eliminate the virtual filesystem.
- Download the DavFS tools from http://dav.sf.net. Gentoo Users can emerge neon davfs2
- Install the binary as the readme states.
modprobe coda mount -t davfs https://gozips.uakron.edu/UANETID /mnt/webdav
You should be connected.