To connect your XBOX to the network there are two solutions. Perform "MAC Address Cloning" or setting up a router.
MAC Address Cloning
A MAC address is a hexadecimal number that is unique to each network card. The university allows computers onto the network by authentication their PC through the gozips page. The authentication allows the network traffic outside of the network on that port 'from' the MAC address used at the gozips page. So we're going to tell the network that your XBOX is the same as your PC.
Get the MAC Address from your PC
Authenticate your computer through the gozips page. From the PC perform the following tasks:
- Click Start
- Click Run
- Type in "cmd" without quotes and click OK
A new window will open, this is the command prompt.
- Type in "ipconfig /all" in the command prompt without the quotes.
- Under "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:" the third entry should be "Physical Address" this is the MAC address. Right this down or leave the window open to read from. The MAC address should look like 00-00-00-00-00-00
Windows 9x / ME
- Click Start
- Click Run
- Type in "Winipcfg" (without the quotes)
A new window will open, that will display your computer's networking information. Select your ethernet connection. (Make sure it isn't your wireless card.)
- Your MAC address will be found next to "Adapter Address" and should look like 00-00-00-00-00-00
Clone the Address to your XBOX
Here, you're simply going to put the MAC address from your computer into your XBOX. Follow these steps.
- Boot the system without a game
- Select Settings
- Select Network Settings
- Select Advanced
- Select MAC Address
- Enter in the MAC Address with out the hyphens.
Plug in your XBOX
Now unplug the network cable from the back of your PC, and plug it into the back of your XBOX. Next put in an XBOX Live enabled game. Now you have something to do other than homework.
Setup a Router
Go to a retail location, or order a router. There are three types of routers you can get. A wireless router with a built in switch, a router with a built in switch, or just a router. The university will shut off your port if you setup a wireless router and broadcast the SSID (this is usually the default). Please follow the manufacturer's instructions to disable the wireless feature on your router. Follow these steps to connect your XBOX to the network.
- Plug the network cable into the WAN port on the router.
- Use another network cable and plug it into your PC
- Another cable is needed to connect the XBOX to the router.
- Authenticate your PC through the gozips page.
Your XBOX should now connect to XBOX Live.