Web Hosting and File Storage
Zipspace is a network storage location for students. Each student is allocated 100 megabytes of storage.
- 1 How to utilize your Zipspace
- 2 How to connect to your Zipspace on a University Machine
- 3 How to connect to ZipSpace with Windows
- 4 How to connect to ZipSpace with Mac OS X
- 5 How to connect to ZipSpace with Linux
How to utilize your Zipspace
You can store projects, papers, or create a webpage. As long as you have an Internet connection you will be able to connect to it from anywhere.
How to connect to your Zipspace on a University Machine
Most labs are already set up to so that your Zipspace is mapped to the My Documents folder.
How to connect to ZipSpace with Windows
XP Method 1
Webdrive Provides the easiest method of connecting to your network share from home.
XP Method 2
- Click the start button, then run, and type in the following:(Or, choose add a network place from the network places window)
- Select Choose a custom network location
- Enter the following:
- You will be prompted for credentials. Enter your UAnetID and Password.
- Type a name for this connection. It should be something descriptive.
- This connection will now appear under My Network Places (on the desktop or in your start menu)
XP Method 3
As a last resort, you can connect to your zipspace by completing the following steps.
- Connect to the VPN
- Click on the start button. XP users click RUN, Vista and Windows 7 users simply type into the 'search' box
- Type \\uanet.edu\zipspace\*the first letter of username*\*uanetid*
- for example \\uanet.edu\zipspace\c\cjc24
- Hit Enter or Click OK. a few seconds will elapse, you will be prompted for your username and password
- Type in UANET\your username (uanet\cjc24) and enter your password.
VISTA / WIN7
- Click on the start button and select computer.
- Along the top of the window, click on Map a network drive
- type in 'https://gozips.uakron.edu/' and your UAnet ID
- Select the desired drive letter you would like to use.
- Click on Use a different username and password
- for username type "UANET\uanetid"
- for password type your password.
VPN access is not necessary for this connection if you are off-campus
If these instructions won't work for you, you can try using Webdrive.
How to connect to ZipSpace with Mac OS X
Connecting to ZIPSpace with Mac OS 10.4x or higher
1. Click the "Go" menu 2. Select "Connect to a Server" 3. Enter the following: https://gozips.uakron.edu/youruanetid 4. Click "Connect" 5. Use Zipspace the same as a normal folder.
Connecting to ZIPSpace with Mac OS 8.x – 9.x
In order to connect to the ZipSpace from your Macintosh, you will need to download and install the Goliath client software, which provides webDAV support (over HTTPS) for both OS X as well as MacOS Classic environments (8.x - 9.x). You can download Goliath from the distribution site http://www.webdav.org/goliath/ - click on the Download link on the left side of the page.
- Launch Goliath, from the File Menu select, New Connection:
- Enter the URL: https://gozips.uakron.edu/YOUR_UANET_ID For example if your UANET is mcgates, you would enter: https://gozips.uakron.edu/mcgates
- You will also need to enter your UANET ID and Password. Then click OK
- You will see a security alert:
- Click “OK” to accept the certificate.
- Once connected, you will see a window which provides access to your files on the ZIPSpace server.
- To upload files, simply drag and drop a copy of your files and folders to the Goliath window.
- To download files from the ZIPSpace server to your hard drive:
a. Select the desired items
b. Then from the Web menu, select Download Items
c. You will then be prompted to select a location on your hard drive
9. To delete files from the server:
d. Select the desired items
e. From the Web menu select Delete Items.
NOTE: This simply moves items to the Trash folder. To permanently remove items, you must also delete them from the Trash folder.
How to connect to ZipSpace with Linux
These instructions were created using Ubuntu 8.10. Similar distributions using Gnome should behave similarly.
1. Go to Places and Connect to Server.
2. Select Secure WebDAV as Service Type.
3. Put 'gozips.uakron.edu/youruanetid' in the Server field and click connect.
4. Enter ID and password.
If you have KNetAttach you can set up a profile.
Click WebFolder (webdav)
- Under Name type Zipspace
- User: Your UAnet ID
- Server: gozips.uakron.edu
- Folder: / then type your UAnet ID
- Click Use Encryption
- Port: 443
- Click Save & Connect
- Enter your password when it prompts you.
You should be connected to your Zipspace
Type webdavs://gozips.uakron.edu/ then after the / type your UAnet ID Enter your password and you should be connected to your Zipspace.
The advantages of this method is to eliminate the virtual filesystem.
- Download the DavFS tools from http://dav.sf.net. Gentoo Users can emerge neon davfs2
- Install the binary as the readme states.
modprobe coda mount -t davfs https://gozips.uakron.edu/UANETID /mnt/webdav
You should be connected.