Difference between revisions of "University Printers"
(fixed typos, removed old info, added new info, new uaprint instructions)
|Line 10:||Line 10:|
== Student Pay for Print / UAprint ==
== Student Pay for Print / UAprint ==
You can install a program on your laptop or desktop that will allow you to print to any of the UA's Pharos Pay-Print stations. The program is available for Windows 2000 and up, Apples, and Linux.
You can install a program on your laptop or desktop that will allow you to print to any of the UA's Pharos Pay-Print stations. The program is available for Windows 2000 and up, Apples, and Linux. 64 bit .<br>
Revision as of 14:55, 24 February 2010
There are two types of University printers. The first are Lab Pay-for-print Pharos stations. Users swipe their Zipcards and the system deducts $0.07 per page. Kiosks, checkout laptops, and lab workstations print to these systems. UAprint is an application that will automatically connect a Windows 2000 or higher system to the printers. Also, many Apple and Linux users can use a UAprint method located below. Color printers are available for public usage in the College of Business Administration (CBA) computer labs. They are located in the CBA building on the first floor.
The second type is a departmental printer. These are not pay-to-print and are usually located away from students, usually in faculty or staff offices.
Zip Print Account
Each semester, students are given $7.00 on their Zipcard for printing use only. This allows students to be able to print 100 free pages at $.07/page. In some cases, students who are a part of a certain degree program may be given additional money through that deparment. User's who are interested in this should contact their department in regards to this. Currently the Zip Print accounts are able to be redeemed at general purpose computer labs and at the Student Union Print Stations. Some of these labs include CAS 103 and Polsky 267. At this time, users cannot print at Bierce Library and get money from their Zip Print account redeemed.
Student Pay for Print / UAprint
You can install a program on your laptop or desktop that will allow you to print to any of the UA's Pharos Pay-Print stations. The program is available for Windows 2000 and up, Apples, and Linux. 64 bit computers have a connection method available, however, you will need to stop by Bierce 52c to get it setup.
How to use UAprint
The UAprint program can be used by users of Windows 2000 and HIGHER, Mac OSX, and Linux The following directions are for the WINDOWS version of UAprint. OSX\Linux instructions are found on the UAprint webpage.
- Download the program to your computer. The Desktop is desirable since the progam is easily accessible. UAPRINT is a stand-alone program and doesn't install anything on your computer.
- You must log in to the University network. The program only transmits login information to the print server, and does not store or transmit the login information to any other sources.
- Select the print station you want to print to. You will see prompts asking you to the Install the driver software. You will need to install the driver when asked for. When exited the program, all printer information is lost. You need to login and select a printer each time.
Pay for Print on OS X
You may wish to run the automatic install utility that can be found at http://print.uanet.edu/ and clicking on the OSX icon.
To set up a printer manually:
- Open Printer Setup Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities).
- Mac OS X 10.4.x users: Choose Add Printer from the Printers menu, then hold the Option key while clicking the "More Printers" button. Mac OS X 10.3.x users: Hold the Option key down while choosing Add Printer from the Printers menu.
- Choose Advanced from the first pop-up menu.
- Choose Windows Printer via SAMBA from the Device pop-up menu.
- In the Device Name field, type the name you would like to use for this printer in Mac OS X.
- In the Device URI field, use one of the following formats to link to the printer:
- Replace uanetID with your uanetID
- Replace password with your uanet password
- Replace printername with any of these:
- PPHPLJ4000Lib01 (first floor Bierce)
- PPHPLJ4000Lib02 (second floor Bierce)
- PPHPLJ4000Lib03 (third floor Bierce)
- Choose HP and the corresponding model in the "Printer Model" dropdown and click Add.
Instructions for adding a networked printer to a University computer can be found at Installing Network Printer.
The following is a more manual method of adding printers, these instructions should be reserved for those more advanced users
Departmental Printers require further steps to configure, however, can be installed rather easily. The first and most difficult step is to find out the name and what server the printer is located on.
In this example we will assume the printer we want to connect to is called HPDJ500STUN307 on server "adminmb1"
First Click on start and then Run (Vista users click start, and type the command into the white 'search' area on the start menu)
Type "\\adminmb1\" (no quotes) and hit enter
Assuming you are athenticated with the network, server resources will be displayed. We can see other shares and printers. Nearly all printers follow the naming convention of (Type of printer)(Model Number)(Building & Rm number) For example HPDJ500STUN307 would be a HP printer Design Jet 500, in Student Union rm 307.
Double click on the icon of the printer you want to install. You may get a warning dialog that your system is about to install drivers, and you should only do so if the printer is trusted.
After installing the printer, a printer status window will open, showing other printjobs from other users (if there are any in the queue). The printer is now installed. You can close the printer status window -it has no affect on the printer being installed in your system.