IMPORTANT: The following settings will only work when connected to the University of Akron VPN.
NOTE: Mozilla Thunderbird is not a university-supported email client. IF you are able to get Thunderbird to work, it will most likely not work for very long. The following instructions are not guaranteed to work with the University of Akron email system. You are encouraged to use Microsoft Outlook or another university-supported email client and refer to the appropriate setup instructions in the Email section..
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird
- Click the Tools menu and then click Account Settings...
- Click the Account Actions... button and click Add Mail Account... on the drop-down menu that appears.
- Enter your name in the Your name: field.
- Enter your University of Akron email address in the format UAnetID@uakron.edu in the Email address: field.
- Enter your UAnetID password in the Password: field, and click Continue.
- Click Manual config.
- Using the following settings, configure the appropriate server settings, and click Create Account.
- Click OK on the Account Settings window to complete setup.
You can save emails on your computer, thus freeing up space on the email server. By moving emails into local folders keep in mind, they will only be available on that pc... If you move to another computer, or use webmail, those emails will no longer be available.
- First right click where it says Local Folders.
- Click on New Folder.
- Call the new folder anything you would like, in this case we called the folder Saved Emails.
- Click on the + sign next to Local folders. You will see your newly created folder.
- Next, you can go to your inbox or your deleted items folder and choose which messages you would like to move to the Saved Emails folder.
Simply right click on the messages, select Move To, Local Folders, and then your desired folder, in this case, Saved Emails. Note that if you choose copy to, it will leave the messages on the mail server, and will not delete your quota usage.