For more information on any of the enterprise systems DTS manages, visit http://www.uakron.edu/its/hoss/dts/enterprisemgt/
What is SMS -Systems Management Server
SMS is used at the University of Akron for hardware and software inventory and software distribution, including core applications, software purchased or licensed from Computer Solutions, software available with proper UA approval, and updates and patches.
Faculty, staff and contract professionals desktop and laptop computers deployed with a standard PC Services Windows 2000 or Windows XP disk image have the SMS client software pre-installed. Other faculty, staff and contract professionals computers running Windows 2000 or Windows XP and joined to the UAnet domain will receive the SMS client installation via Group Policy.
Most SMS deployments of updates and patches are mandatory silent installations. No messages are displayed before, during, or after these installations. SMS deployments of core applications and other programs are usually voluntary installations. These installations require some user interaction.
How to run advertised programs
When an application has been deployed via SMS to a computer the application is said to have been advertised to the computer. When an advertisement is received by a computer an icon appears in the Windows System Tray with a New Program Available message balloon stating that “A new program is available to be run. Double-click here to show new programs…”
If you wish to run the program at that time double-click the icon in the System Tray.
You may run the program at a later time by using the Run Advertised Programs control panel.
- Open Control Panel
- Select Run Advertised Programs
- Select the Advertisement you wish to run and either double click on it or select it and click on "RUN"
If you are interested in the updates pushed by SMS please check out the [What's New Page.]
What programs are available?
Programs available to all clients
The following core applications have been advertised to all SMS clients:
* Adobe Reader 8.1.2 * ApTec CaptureEze Pro 8.0 * AT&T VNC 3.3 * Hummingbird HostExplorer 2007 12.0 * Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Plus 1.06 * McAfee Site Advisor 188.8.131.52 * MS FrontPage 2003 * MS Office Communicator 2005 * MS Office Pro 2003 (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, Word) * MS Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool
Software Purchased or Licensed from Computer Solutions
The following applications are available from Computer Solutions and can be deployed via SMS:
* Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0 * Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0 * Adobe After Effects 6.5 Pro * Adobe After Effects 7.0 Pro * Adobe Audition 1.5 * Adobe Captivate 2.0 * Adobe Creative Suite CS2 (Acrobat, GoLive, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) * Adobe Creative Suite CS2.3 (Acrobat 8, GoLive, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver) * Adobe CS3 Web Standard * Adobe CS3 Web Premium * Adobe CS3 Design Standard * Adobe CS3 Master Collection * Adobe CS3 Design Premium * Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 9.0 * Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 * Adobe Flash CS3 Professional 9.0 * Adobe Flex Builder 2 * Adobe FrameMaker 7.2 * Adobe FreeHand MX 11.0.1 * Adobe GoLive CS2 8.0 * Adobe GoLive CS3 9.0 * Adobe Illustrator CS2 12.0 * Adobe InDesign CS2 4.0 * Adobe InDesign CS3 5.0 * Adobe Ovation 1.0 * Adobe PageMaker 7.0.2 * Adobe Photoshop CS2 9.0 * Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended * Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 * Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 * Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 * Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 * Adobe Video Collection (After Effects, Audition, EncoreDVD, Photoshop, Premiere Pro) * Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2006 * Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 * Autodesk AutoCAD 2006 * Autodesk AutoCAD 2007 * Autodesk AutoCAD 2008 * Autodesk AutoCAD Electrical 2006 * Autodesk AutoCAD Electrical 2007 * Autodesk Civil 3D 2007 * Autodesk Civil 3D 2007 Design Companion * Autodesk Inventor Professional 10 * Autodesk Inventor Professional 11 * Autodesk Inventor Professional 2008 * Autodesk Land Desktop 2007 * Autodesk Map 3D 2007 * Autodesk Revit Systems 2007 * Autodesk Survey 2007 * Autodesk VIZ 2007 * ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 9.1 * ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 9.2 * Inspiration 7.6 * Kidspiration 2.1 * Macromedia Captivate 1.1.3 * Macromedia Contribute 3 * Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 * Macromedia Fireworks 8 * Macromedia Flash 8 Video Encoder * Macromedia Flash Professional 8 * Macromedia HomeSite+ 5.5 * Macromedia Studio 8 (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Video Encoder, Contribute, HomeSite)
* MS Office Enterprise 2007
* MS Office OneNote 2003 * MS MapPoint 2004 * MS Project Pro 2003 * MS Project Pro 2007 * MS SharePoint Designer 2007 * MS SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition * MS Visio Pro 2003 * MS Visio Pro 2007 * MS Visual SourceSafe 2005 * MS Visual Studio .NET 2003 * MS Visual Studio 2005 * MS Visual Studio 2008 * SAS 9.1.3 * SAS JMP 6.0.2 * SAS JMP 7.0 * SPSS 13.0 * SPSS 14.0 * SPSS 15.0
Software Available with Proper UA Approval
The following applications can be deployed via SMS with approval from Kim Mira
* IBM DB2 Connect 7.1 * IBM DB2 Connect 8 * PeopleSoft 8 Two-Tier Financials * PeopleSoft 8.22 Two-Tier HR/SA Application Designer * PeopleSoft 8.22 Two-Tier HR/SA Crystal Reports
The following application can be deployed via SMS with approval from Annette James
* DARwin 3.0.6
Updates and Patches deployed via SMS
Updates and patches deployed via SMS are usually mandatory silent installations. No messages are displayed before, during, or after the installation. SMS uses hardware and software inventory data to determine which updates are needed by which clients. The updates are then deployed only to applicable clients. If an update fails to install successfully on the first attempt, SMS will periodically retry the update until installation is successful.
The following updates are deployed
Out-of-date clients are those with no McAfee EPOAgent, a McAfee EPOAgent version prior to 184.108.40.2068, and/or a McAfee VirusScan version prior to 220.127.116.112. Administrator Password Reset
A script to set the built-in Administrator account password to a randomly-generated character string runs every 21 days. This is to insure that the Administrator account does not have a blank or weak password that could be exploited by a virus or other malware.
This script also adds the Local Computer Domain Admins security group to the local Administrators group. This security group contains PC Services technicians.