From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia
Microsoft Office Outlook or Outlook is a personal information manager from Microsoft, and is part of the Microsoft Office suite.
Although often used mainly as an e-mail application, it also includes a Calendar, Task Manager, Contact Manager, note taking, a journal and web browsing.
It can be used as a stand-alone application, but can also operate in conjunction with Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server to provide enhanced functions for multiple users in an organization, such as shared mailboxes and calendars, Exchange public folders, Sharepoint lists and meeting time allocation.
Configuring Outlook 2007/2010
Faculty and staff members can connect to the exchange server by completing the following steps:
- To begin, first open control panel and select mail.
- Select the Email Accounts button. Click on Add, then choose Microsoft Exchange
- Fill out the fields on the form. Outlook 2007 will automatically configure the required settings for you.
This feature allows Outlook to connect to the Exchange server via a proxy. Using this method you will not longer need to establish a VPN connection to send email.
- Open Outlook
- On the Tools menu, click Account Settings, select the Exchange account, and then click Change
- Click More Settings, and then click the Connection tab
- Under Outlook Anywhere, select the Connect to Microsoft Exchange user HTTP check box.
- If the Outlook Anywhere section is not available, your computer is probably not running Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later.
- To specify a proxy server, click Exchange Proxy Settings
- Under Use this URL to connect to my proxy server for Exchange type exchange.uanet.edu into the box.
- Click OK to back out of the option menus
Outlook is now set to send and receive email off campus and without a VPN connection.
Setting Up Exchange settings off campus
ZipSupport has found this to be a hit or miss process, so the results are not guaranteed.
- Install and start the VPN client, additional information for the vpn can be found here.
- Follow the above instructions for Configuring Outlook 2007/2010.
- If asked for a username name the syntax will be "uanet\uanetid"