Guest Accounts shall be issued for 1 year and will follow these guidelines:
- All Guest Accounts requires a Faculty, Staff or Departmental sponsor
- To request a Guest Account, the Sponsor must send the following user information to TLSC@uakron.edu or a memo to Support Center, +5001
- User's name: ________________________
- Address: __________________________________
- Phone number: _____________
- Start Date: _____________
- End Date: ______________
- Association with The University of Akron: (check/fill in one)
- Visiting professor working with_______________
- Visiting staff member from "sister institution"
- Visiting student working with ________________
- Special class participant
- Temporary Employee
- Other affiliation _______________________________
- Sponsor's name: _________________
- Sponsor's Campus address: ________________
- Sponsor's Campus phone number: ___________________
- User's name: ________________________
- Upon receiving the email or memo, designated SUPPORT CENTER staff will then create a guest account and note on the printed email, or memo the date created and the date the Faculty/Staff member is to become active in HR records. The paperwork is filed in either the Faculty/Staff Account file or the "True" Guest Account file by month and year.
- Upon the creation of a guest account the sponsor will be notified via email or telephone call that the user can come to SUPPORT CENTER and pick up the ID and password. They will need to provide a current picture ID as a form of Identification. In special cases the ID and password will be hand delivered to the sponsor.
- SUPPORT CENTER staff will reviewed both Guest Account files weekly to determine:
- If a visiting participant, "true" Guest Account should be deleted (1 year for creation date) or
- The Faculty Guest Account should be converted to a permanent account. If the account is for a Faculty/Staff member who will become active in the HR system the designated SUPPORT CENTER staff members will notify LAN when the user should be converted to an active Faculty/Staff account.
In special situations it may be necessary to create guest accounts for special groups, i.e. Distance Learning users, Police Academy users, or an out of town new Faculty/Staff member. In these situations, the Guest Accounts will be created following the same procedure indicated above but the sponsor may pick up or SUPPORT CENTER personnel will hand deliver to the sponsor the IDs and passwords. The sponsor is still required to provide picture ID for verification.
Instructional Information Designated SUPPORT CENTER personnel and a backup designee will be processing ALL guest accounts. Processing a Guest Account includes:
- Verifying that all the information on the request is filled in
- Establishing the account
- Notifying the sponsor that the user can stop in Support Center, present the necessary ID's and get the print out that has the ID, and password
Any department requesting a guest account is sent the above guidelines. This process has discussed this with the designee in HR, and the designee in LAN. Together they have established the above guidelines and notification process for creating Guest Accounts. If departments request UAnet accounts through HR, the HR designee will verify that all information is correct and then pass the request on to TLSC@uakron.edu
Converting Established Guests Account
Situations may require that a guest Account that was established in the past may need to be updated or converted to a Faculty/Staff or Student Account.
- Support Analyst should request the following information from the user
- UANet ID, department, phone, soc number/EMPL ID, and date hired.
- Inform the user that after a confirmation of their start date with HR that their account will be updated within 24 hours.
- They will receive notification of the change via email from the LAN account manager.
- Support Analyst will forward the above information to the SUPPORT CENTER primary Guest Account Processor and the backup designee
- The Primary Processor will verify that the information is correct with the HR designee.
- When all information is confirmed the request will be forwarded to the LAN account manager.
- When the Guest Account has been converted the LAN designee will notify the user via email, and copy the SUPPORT CENTER as confirmation that the process is complete.
The above process for converting a Guest Account to a Faculty/Staff account should be followed when a request is received to convert a Student Account to a Student/Staff Account.
Staff will need their accounts changed to enable them to take classes. Use the above conversion process when a request is received.
At no time should the email address or phone number of the internal personnel, i.e. LAN account manager, HR designee be given out to a user or requestor. If a contact is requested, the SUPPORT CENTER Primary Processor or backup designee’s phone number can be given to the user/requestor