Microsoft Office is able to open nearly all types of text documents, even if it was not created using Word. To open documents created with software such as Office 2003, Microsoft Works, WordPerfect, or OpenOffice, follow these steps.
Opening Other Documents
- Click the Microsoft Office Button (Upper left of the screen), and then click Open.
- In the Files of type list, click the appropriate file type:
- For Office 2003: All Word documents
- For Microsoft Works: Works 6.0 - 9.0
- For WordPerfect (choose one):
- WordPerfect 5.x
- WordPerfect 6.x
- For OpenOffice (choose one):
- Open Document Format (ODF)
- All Word Documents
- Rich Text Format
- In the Open dialog box, locate the file that you want to open, and then select it.
- Click Open.
Saving As Other Documents
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save As.
- In the File name box, type the file name that you want.
- In the Save as type list, click Word document, and then click Save.
- Finally, open the converted file within Word.
Convert Word Document to PDF
Converting Documents Online
Zamzar is a free online based file conversion website that supports conversion to and from many popular document, image, music and compression file types.
- .csv - Comma Separated Values
- .doc - Microsoft Word Document
- .docx - Microsoft Word 2007 Document
- .odp - OpenDocument presentation
- .odt - OpenDocument Text Document
- .pdf - Portable Document Format
- .ppt - Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation
- .pptx - Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 Presentation
- .ps - Postscript document
- .rtf - Rich Text Format
- .wpd - Wordperfect Document
- .wps - Microsoft Works Document
- .xls - Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet
- .xlsx - Microsoft Excel 2007 Spreadsheet
For a full listing of file types visit http://www.zamzar.com/conversionTypes.php
- Go to http://www.zamzar.com
- Press the browse button and select the file you wish to convert, multiple files can be converted at the same time.
- In the drop down box directly to the right of the browse button select the format you wish the document to be converted to (probably .doc).
- Enter your email address that you want the converted file link to be sent to.
- Press the Convert button.
- Zamzar will then upload your file, convert it and send you a link to your converted file to your email address, usually within a few minutes (depending on file size).
Please note that Zamzar will only keep the converted file for you to download for 24 hours.