Cisco VPN Client
| Vista64 and Windows7 32/64|
These operating systems cannot currently connect to the VPN using the Cisco Client or the built-in client. Advanced computer users may wish to try VPNC, but this method is completely unsupported. Windows7 32bit users will need to look at these instructions.
- 1 Obtaining and installing the Cisco VPN Client
- 2 Using the Cisco VPN Client
- 3 Troubleshooting
Obtaining and installing the Cisco VPN Client
Go to FootPrints (Click here to download) You will need to login using your UAnetID and password. You should see an entry for the Cisco VPN files, this includes instructions on how to install the software. Attached to that issue is the setup file (approximately 10Mb). The files can also be obtained in person at one of our ZipSupport Center. The installer may appear to freeze, stating that 5 seconds remain, although it sits for several minutes. This happens on certain computers, and you should allow the installer to finish.
Using the Cisco VPN Client
To disconnect just double-click on the lock icon in the tray and click on disconnect
Here is a good list of error codes you may receive with the VPN Client: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/is/roamnet/troubleshooting_vpn-errordict.pdf
Error 2738 on Windows Vista
If you receive an error "Internal Error 2738", try these directions to potentially resolve the issue:
- Run a command prompt in administrator mode (Start/All Programs/Accessories/ right click on Command Prompt, select Run As Administrator)
- type: cd %systemroot%\system32
- type: regsvr32 vbscript.dll
To work around error 442, try the following steps to resolve the issue:
- Open "Network and Sharing Center".
- Select "Manage Network Connections".
- Enable the Virtual Adapter ("VA"—Cisco VPN Adapter).
- Right-click on Cisco VPN Adapter and select "Diagnose" from the context menu.
- Select "Reset the network adapter Local Area Connection X".
If this procedure does not work, run the following command from the command prompt:
reg add HLKM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REGDWORD /d 0 /f
This resolves the issue until Vista reports a duplicate IP address again. Follow the preceding steps to resolve it again.
If that doesn't work, run the following from cmd.
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Error Message 1721 On Windows Vista
You are most likely receiving this error message because you are using a 64 bit version of Windows Vista. To Check:
- Click Start and go to Computer.
- Right Click Computer and Go To Properties
- There should be a category called "System Type." It should say either 32 or 64 bit operating system.
- Unfortunately the VPN client does not support 64 bit at this time, if you have 32 bit, please call us at 330-972-6888 for further troubleshooting.
Error 442: failed to enable virtual adapter.
1. Try rebooting the computer and then try connecting again
2. Uninstall and reinstall - Control Panel - Programs and Features - Select Partners Cisco Systems VPN Client and select uninstall - Restart the computer - Then load the client again.
3. Another possible fix for this Cisco bug is to perform the following steps: - Control Panel - Network and Internet - Open Network and Sharing Center - Open Network Connection Manager - Enable the virtual adapter ("Cisco VPN Adapter") - Right click on it and select "Diagnose" - Select Fix
Error 56: Unable to start the Cisco Systems Inc. VPN Service
I opened a TAC case and followed the tips provided to no avail. He was a very friendly and timely person (nothing intended against Cisco Support in this post, just wanted to share my fix). The last tip I got was to re-image.
I fixed it by uninstalling Cisco, rebooting, and deleting all Cisco registry keys (do at your own risk and be careful of key words that have Cisco in them ie. ccISCore, Francisco, etc). Then reinstalling.
Error 413: User Authentication Failed
Resolution If the user receives this error message before being prompted to put in their password: 1. Close the Cisco VPN Client, re-launch and try again. 2. If step 1 doesn't work, please reboot and try again. (note: this has worked in several cases)
If the user receives this error message after putting in their password: 1. The User will need to contact their admin for a password issue.
If you need help in acquiring the client, please contact the ZipSupport Center @ 330/972-6888 or by Submitting a request via FootPrints for the software.