Cisco VPN Client
Before you install the Cisco VPN Client
If you upgraded your computer from Windows XP to Windows Vista, you will not be able to use the Cisco VPN. Cisco has documented that a clean install of Windows Vista is necessary in order for the utility to properly function.
If you are running any Vista 64-bit editions, you will not be able to use the Cisco VPN client at all. Cisco has another tool available ("Any Connect") which may work. At this time, "Any Connect" is unavailable and there is no expected date of when it will be made available to the UA campus.
Getting and installing the Cisco VPN Client Software
Go to FootPrints (Click here to download) You will need to login using your UAnetID and password. You should see an entry for the Cisco VPN files, this includes instructions on how to install the software. Attached to that issue is the setup file (approximately 10Mb). The files can also be obtained in person at one of our ZipSupport Center.
Using the Cisco VPN Client
Click on the New button for a new profile. Click on Group Authentication and use the group name: Zipnet and the password is zippy
Now click on the transport tab. Click on Enable Transport Tunneling and click on IPSec over UDP (NAT/PAT) Then click on the save button.
After saving the profile, highlight the profile and click on connect. In the authentication box enter University username and password.
You will see the securing communication channel and the window will minimize once negotiation is complete. To disconnect just double-click on the lock icon in the tray and click on disconnect
Here is a good list of error codes you may receive with the VPN Client: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/is/roamnet/vpn-errordict.pdf
Error 2738 on Windows Vista If you receive an error "Internal Error 2738", try these directions to potentially resolve the issue:
- Run a command prompt in administrator mode (Start/All Programs/Accessories/ right click on Command Prompt, select Run As Administrator)
- type: cd %systemroot%\system32
- type: regsvr32 vbscript.dll
Error 442 To work around error 442, try the following steps to resolve the issue:
- Open "Network and Sharing Center".
- Select "Manage Network Connections".
- Enable the Virtual Adapter ("VA"—Cisco VPN Adapter).
- Right-click on Cisco VPN Adapter and select "Diagnose" from the context menu.
- Select "Reset the network adapter Local Area Connection X".
If this procedure does not work, run the following command from the command prompt:
- reg add HLKM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REGDWORD /d 0 /f
This resolves the issue until Vista reports a duplicate IP address again. Follow the preceding steps to resolve it again.
If that doesn't work, run the following from cmd.
- reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
If you need help in acquiring the client, please contact the ZipSupport Center @ 330/972-6888 or by Submitting a request via FootPrints for the software.