| Sending Email|
If you are off campus you will need to connect to the VPN in order to send email using Apple Mail.
Alternatively you can configure Apple Mail to use your local ISP's SMTP server.
Faculty/Staff Email System
For OSX Lion (10.7), Mountain Lion (10.8), Mavericks (10.9), and Yosemite(10.10)
The setup for adding an Exchange account to Apple Mail are as follow.
- Click on the Apple logo and open System Preferences
- Open "Mail, Contacts and Calendars" if you have Lion or Mountain Lion, or click on "Internet Accounts" if you have Mavericks. Then click on "Microsoft Ecxhange"
- Enter your name, e-mail address and password. After this, your account will be set up in Apple Mail
Saving Email to Local Folders with Apple Mail
Apple Mail, Mac OS X's default email client, gives you the option to store your email on your computer. These instructions will explain how to create and save mail to local folders with all currently supported versions of Apple Mail.
Saving Email to Your Computer
To save email from your Inbox or other IMAP folders (folders stored on the ITS email server), you need to first create corresponding mail boxes on your computer.
- While in Apple Mail, select the Mailbox menu. Click New Mailbox. The following window will appear.
- Under Location, select On My Mac.
- Under Name, type in a name with which to identify the local folder, for example, local inbox or saved messages. Click OK.
- Repeat the previous step to create as many local folders as you need.
- You will see the local folders you created in the Mailboxes panel on the left-hand side of the window. If you do not see the Mailboxes panel, go to the View menu and select Show Mailbox List.
- Select the IMAP mailbox you would like to move messages from, go to the Edit menu, click Select All. Instead of selecting all, you can choose to select only the messages you want by clicking those messages while holding down the COMMAND, or APPLE, key.
- Select the Message menu, then Move To, and click on the corresponding local mailbox you just created to transfer the messages to this local mailbox. You can also drag selected message directly to the local mailbox of your choice in the mailbox pane.
- Repeat the above two steps to move all your folders.
Apple Mail includes online help guides to assist you with address book creation and other aspects of reading email. Help is located under the Help menu. If you are experiencing application errors or crashes, please contact Apple for further support. If you have questions regarding these settings, please contact the Support Center at 330-972-6888.