Malwarebytes is a source dedicated to fighting malware. Malwarebytes has developed a variety of tools that can identify and remove malicious software from your computer. When your computer becomes infected, Malwarebytes can provide the needed assistance to remove the infection and restore the machine back to optimum performance. Malwarebytes offers licensing options to purchase their software or you can download the free copy of their software for personal use. The free software should be affective enough to remove any infections on your personal computer.
Before following the below instructions please see the Malware page for full malware removal instructions
Download and Installation
The link to download Malwarebytes software can be found on their webpage at https://www.malwarebytes.com/
- Click on the Free Download button.
- Open up the .exe file that you just downloaded. You can do this by either clicking on the icon at the bottom left hand of your browser or by going to your downloads folder or wherever you saved the .exe file to.
- Now the installer will open up. Follow the instructions to finish the setup of Malwarebytes.
Instructions for Use
When first opening Malwarebytes, the software should automatically check for updates. If the program prompts you to update it is important that you allow it to. Anti-malware programs are updated frequently as there are new malware programs created daily. Updating your anti-malware software can make the difference between removing infections or missing them all together. If your software is up to date please see the instructions below:
- Open Software. This can be done by either finding the program in your list of all programs or clicking the icon on your desktop if one was created.
- Click the Scan button
- The software will now begin to scan the files on your computer to look for possible infections.
- When the scanning is complete the software will show you how many files were scanned as well as how many infections were found.
- If the software found infections it will prompt you to quarantine and clear the infections, otherwise you can click done.
- After clearing the infections you may be prompted to restart your computer.
- Once you've restarted your computer, you should be good to go.
| Malware Still Present After Restart|
If there are issues caused by a malware programs that still persist after following these steps please contact the Help Desk for further Assistance. Laptops or Desktops can be brought to our walk-in center in Bierce Library room 52C or the Computer Center, located on the corner of Carrol Street and Wolf Ledges