Make a Webpage on your zipspace
Beginners guide to building a website
Regardless of what some may think or say building a basic website is extremely simple. In fact, if you were able to turn on your computer and navigate to this Wiki page then you are capable of constructing your own basic website.
Hypertext Markup Language (HTML)
HTML, short for Hypertext Markup Language, is a one of the most basic programming languages used to develop websites. In this article I will explain how to create a basic web page and how to upload that web page to your Zipspace so that the page may be accessed from anywhere in the world.
Building your web page
1) Open up a text editor such as Microsoft Word, Notepad, Wordpad, etc.
2) Once you have opened your text editor we need to write some HTML. So either copy and paste the following or write the following into your text document and afterwards I'll explain what it all means.
<html> <head> <title>My First Website</title> </head> <body> Hello World! This is my first webpage! </body> </html>
HTML consists of many different items called tags. The tags that we just used in the above code are
- <html></html> - This tag is used to create the webpage
- <head></head> - Used to process certain information that is not displayed on the Web page
- <title></title> - This puts the information within the tags into the title bar
- <body></body> - Usually contains the visible portion of the document
Saving your new web page
Now that your web page has been made you must save the document as "index.html" (without the quotes). Be careful though that you do not save the document as "index.html.txt" or something of that nature.
Uploading the file to your Zipspace
Once you have connected to your Zipspace you should see a folder labeled "www". Place your "index.html" file inside of the "www" folder. Then navigate your web browser to the following address http://gozips.uakron.edu/~UANetID (Replace UANetID with your assigned UANet ID)