From The University of Akron Support Center Wiki
| University of Akron Training|
For phone support, contact the ZipSupport Center, 330-972-6888.
|Microsoft Word Training Site
Quick Reference Guide
|Microsoft Outlook Training Site
Setting up Outlook for campus use
|Microsoft Excel Training Site
Quick Reference Guide
|Microsoft Powerpoint Training Site
Quick Reference Guide
Document Conversion (Opening or saving as Wordperfect, MS Works, PDF, etc)
Find saved file (Locating a file that you saved, but now are unable to find)
About Microsoft Office 2010
Office 2010 comes complete with new and improved tools and features to help you create, communicate, and stay productive, whether you’re working at home, the office, or school. Access your files in more places - and on your schedule - with applications you can use from your computer, from a Windows phone, or via a Web browser. Grab your audience’s attention and give your ideas more impact with ready-to-use design templates, eye-catching visual effects, and enhanced photo-editing capabilities. Work smoothly and simultaneously with people in different locations using the coauthoring capabilities in Microsoft PowerPoint 2010, Microsoft Word 2010, Microsoft OneNote 2010 shared notebook, and Microsoft Excel Web App. With professional-caliber tools that are easy to use, Office 2010 helps you simplify your tasks and create outstanding work wherever life takes you.
Microsoft Office at UA
Microsoft Office is installed on all university computer's. This includes facility, staff, and UA computer stations.
At The Computer Store, University of Akron students may purchase Microsoft software at greatly reduced costs. Students, faculty and staff are only eligible to purchase one copy of each product release and only one platform (Windows or Apple OSX) of each product. The contract with Microsoft also restricts the purchase of the most current Office for both Windows and Apple OSX. The software registration restricts the installation to only one computer
Who is eligible for the discount?
- Students enrolled in at least one credited course with a valid University of Akron Zip Card.
- Faculty & Staff currently employed by the university with a valid University of Akron Zip Card.
- Former employers, third-party contractors and volunteers are not eligible.
Computer and processor: 500 MHz or faster processor.
Memory: minimum 256 MB RAM and the recommended of 512 MB for graphics features and certain advanced functionality.
Hard disk: 3.0 GB available disk space.
Display: 1024x576 or higher resolution monitor.
Operating system: minimum of windows XP (Service Pack 3) or any newer Microsoft Windows Operating System.
Nolij and Microsoft Office 2010
The current version of Nolij and Microsoft Office 2010 are compatible.
Older Versions of Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office 2003 has the ability to open Microsoft Office 2007 documents by using the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Office2007 File Formats (click here to download)
Frequently Asked Questions
How is Office Starter 2010 different from Office 2010?
- Microsoft Office Starter 2010 consists of Microsoft Word Starter and Microsoft Excel Starter only, reduced- functionality versions of Microsoft Word and Excel with advertising. Office Starter does not include PowerPoint, OneNote, or Outlook. Office Starter is available only preloaded by select PC manufacturers.
What is Office Mobile?
- Microsoft Office Mobile is a rich, security-enhanced, mobile productivity companion for Office. Office Mobile includes mobile version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and SharePoint Workspace. Some mobile functionality requires an Internet connection. With its familiar look and easy-to-use tools, you can extend the reach of Office 2010 almost anytime, anywhere. Perform lightweight editing on your Office documents, stay connected to your schedule and email, and take notes on the go using rich interfaces designed for small devices. Work with Office documents stored on your phone, via email attachment, Microsoft SharePoint 2010, or download files from another shared location, such as Windows Live. With Office Mobile, you can work at your convenience and stay connected.
Can I open previous versions of Office files in Office 2010?
- Yes. Files created in previous versions of Office can be opened using the Office 2010 version of the applications. Supported files vary by product.
Can I open Office 2010 files using previous versions of Office?
- Yes, Office 2010 files can be opened within Office 2007. If you have Office 2000, XP, or 2003, you will need to download the free Compatibility Pack. However, new features and formatting capabilities found in the new version might be lost when saving to or opening from previous versions of the software.
What is the Ribbon?
- The Ribbon replaces traditional menus and toolbars with a fresh, highly visual layout of commands, organized into a set of tabs, to help you find the features you need fast. With the improved Ribbon in Office 2010, you can access your favorite commands even more quickly by customizing tabs or creating your own to personalize the experience to your work style.